My Dog Has A Bird In His Mouth (All You Need To Know)

What should I do If My Dog Has A Bird In His Mouth? do I need to worry? Although it may seem weird, veterinarians see this query more frequently than you imagine. If you are reading this post, chances are good that you have as well. Your dog may find a dead bird on the sidewalk to be nasty and depressing, but before you know it, they’ve devoured it since it smells and looks like a surprise treat. But is this potentially harmful? What you should know is as follows.

My Dog Has A Bird In His Mouth

While acquiring bacteria through digestion is more likely, just holding a wild bird in one’s mouth carries a little danger. After a hunt, if you observe your dog acting strangely, schedule a checkup with your veterinarian.

My Dog Has A Bird In His Mouth

My Dog Ate A Dead Bird Should I Be Worried?

Even though dogs are infamous for eating everything and having stomachs that seem built of steel, consuming any dead animal can harm your health. Your dog could become gravely ill from bacteria, parasites, or toxins carried by dead animals.

The following are the primary risks of consuming a dead bird:

  • Botulism: According to BeautyOfBirds, waterfowl like gulls and ducks can get the sickness known as botulism from eating infected seafood. If your dog eats a bird with the illness, it could also get this condition.
  • Toxin exposure: If your dog ate a dead bird that had consumed pesticides, poison, environmental toxins, or an animal or insect that had been poisoned, the bird may still contain active toxins in its digestive system that your dog could have absorbed. The impact of these compounds on your dog varies on the type of toxin, the amount of poison remaining in the bird’s system, and the size of your dog.

What To Do If You’re Dog Ate A Dead Bird?

If you notice your dog eating a dead bird, note the species, how long you believe it had been finished (did it look fresh or start to decompose? ), and how much your dog consumed. Call your veterinarian and explain what happened. They might have particular advice for your dog based on what they know about your dog’s age, size, etc.

Keep an attentive eye on your dog for symptoms like diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, a loss of appetite, dehydration, and lethargy or weakness if you didn’t observe your dog consume the bird. Your veterinarian should be informed of any of these symptoms and may instruct you to bring your dog in the right immediately or urge you to keep an eye on things over the next day or two.

Your veterinarian can also suggest switching to a therapeutic dog food instead of your dog’s regular diet because it may be easier on their digestive tract. You should take your dog to the vet if they don’t start to feel better in 24 to 48 hours.

Will My Dog Catch A Disease?

Given their general health, it is unlikely that your dog will get a disease from eating one bird. But the risk is always there whether your dog consumes the entire bird or only the head. If your dog is especially effective at catching a bird, it is best to continue to be wary of the likelihood that infectious disease may have been present in the bird. Most dogs, especially those that aren’t trained birders, are often far slower than wild birds.

If sick, an infected bird could appear more lethargic. This is probably the same reason your dog could catch it in the first place. Stay away and keep a close eye on the area if you spot any dull-looking birds. It is simpler to capture sick birds for a snack. The two illnesses that you should pay close attention to are listed below.


In the guts of wild birds, salmonella is frequently present. This bacteria, which is present in undercooked poultry, are among the causes why cleaning all surfaces that come into touch with raw chicken is crucial. Thankfully, research has shown that even when dogs contract Salmonella germs, they maintain good clinical health.

Nevertheless, getting sick is not impossible, so it’s a good idea to keep a close eye on your dog for the first 48 hours after intake. Be on the lookout for changes in appetite, vomiting, and diarrhea. It’s recommended to schedule a checkup with your veterinarian if you notice these or any other unexpected changes in behavior that last for more than 24 hours.

Remember that people can contract salmonella. Then, your furry companion can give it to you! Risk factors include being extraordinarily young or old and having a damaged immune system for another reason. Avoid letting your dog lick people, and teach kids to practice basic pet hygiene.


Another sort of bacteria that dogs can acquire from birds is Chlamydia, especially if they come into touch with bird feces. “Chlamydia psittaci” is the scientific name for this particular strain of Chlamydia. Since it is a respiratory bacterium, people cannot contract it from dogs. Dogs with Chlamydia may pant, have respiratory problems, or have inflamed eyes.

Inform your veterinarian and schedule an appointment if you have these symptoms after interacting with or eating a bird. Your veterinarian will take swabs to confirm the diagnosis if she suspects Chlamydia. Fortunately, a course of antibiotics can be used to treat this infection.

Can A Dog Get Rabies From A Dead Bird?

If birds transmit salmonella, you could be concerned that your dog could contract rabies if it eats the deceased bird. You might be concerned about the diseases and viruses your dog might pick up by licking a dead bird and spreading it to everyone in the house. Although rabies is a severe illness, it doesn’t affect birds. Therefore, a dead bird cannot give your dog rabies. That’s because mammals can only contract rabies.

My Dog Has A Bird In His Mouth 1

Can Eating A Dead Bird Kill A Dog?

When dog owners discover their beloved furry companions eating a dead animal, their primary concern is serious consequences, such as becoming gravely ill or even dying. You can’t help but worry that your dog might pass away if you come home to find them holding a dead bird in their jaws. Just keep in mind that the hazards are often modest for dogs that ate a dead bird or if your dog ingested a whole bird.

YouTube video

Final Verdict

It can be dangerous if your My Dog Has A Bird In His Mouth. Dogs are constantly lured to odors. You shouldn’t be shocked if your dog enjoys playing with or eating dead animals. Additionally, there is no need to be excessively alarmed if your dog accidentally eats a dead bird. Typically, dogs with mild stomach upset will experience episodes of vomiting and diarrhea.

Taking care of your home means allowing your dog to too fast for a full day; once symptoms have faded, you should gradually start feeding them and resume their regular diet. However, it is advised to take your dog to the veterinarian if they continue to act lethargic and exhibit the symptoms above.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can dogs get sick from birds?

Dogs may contract Salmonella by eating some birds because they have bacteria in their intestines. Salmonellosis, sometimes known as “songbird fever,” affects outdoor cats and is a significant issue for cats that hunt birds.

How do I get my dog to release something with his mouth?

Say “Drop!” to your dog when playing with a toy in their mouth, and then give them a treat immediately (do not wait for them to open their own). The dog must drop the charm before it can consume it. Play again when they’ve finished eating. Repeat a minimum of five times.

Can a bird hurt a dog?

Small animals that spend time outdoors unattended are the pets most at risk from vultures. 1 Even though they are uncommon, birds have been observed attacking: puppies, especially those of tiny types: kittens and small cats.

Should I be worried if my dog ate a bird?

If your dog isn’t acting strangely after eating a bird, there could be no cause for concern. Take him to the vet immediately if he starts vomiting or having diarrhea. Eating raw bird meat carries the risk of salmonella infection. Feathers or bones are not easily digested.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *