My Dog Ate Grape Stems (Things To Be Doing Now)

Are you thinking about My Dog Ate Grape Stems, are they harmful? Feeding your dog some of the grapes you just bought? Can canines consume grape stems? Before reading this post, do nothing! Dogs should not consume grapes or items containing grapes.

This comprises grape juice or jelly, raisins made from dried grapes, and currants related to grapes. Although the exact mechanism of poisoning is still unknown, grape poisoning in certain dogs can result in severe kidney failure.

Most research indicates that the toxic dose for grapes and raisins is approximately 32 grams per kilogram of the dog’s weight and 11–30 grams, respectively. However, poisoning symptoms can occasionally be present even at low concentrations. Grape-containing goods in any quantity are not thought to be safe for dogs.

All varieties of grapes, including those used to make wine and those with or without seeds, organic, and non-GMO, contain the toxin. The first symptoms of grape toxicity start roughly 6–12 hours after intake and include vomiting and diarrhea.

My Dog Ate Grape Stems 1

The general lack of energy, weakness, dehydration, thirst, and an inability to generate enough urine come next. Fatal kidney impairment can appear within a week. Inducing vomiting 15-20 minutes after consumption can lessen the symptoms’ absorption and intensity. Once kidney disease is present, your dog will require intense fluid therapy to survive.

Large doses have the potential to be lethal even when treated. A toxin found in grapes can make dogs develop renal failure. When consumed, grapes, raisins, and goods containing grapes can make a dog ill. This is referred to as grape toxicity or grape poisoning. Treatment must begin immediately, and some cases may still have fatal outcomes.

My Dog Ate Grape Stems (Things To Do)

Some dogs can develop kidney failure from grape stems, while others are unchanged, like the grapes. The unknown is the precise mechanism of toxicity. Some dogs will regain normal kidney function with vigorous treatment, while others will acquire kidney disease and, sporadically, terminal kidney failure.

If your dog consumes stems, you should immediately take them to the veterinarian. Depending on when the branches are finished, the veterinarian may begin decontamination and IV fluids to protect the kidneys. If it was a few days ago, they may check the kidney values and determine whether any damage was done.

Symptoms Of Grape Poisoning In Dogs

These are indications that your dog may have consumed grapes or raisins. You should seek veterinary care immediately because grape poisoning should be treated as an emergency.

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Grapes or raisins in the feces or vomit
  • Low vigor
  • Appetite loss
  • Weakness
  • Abdominal pain symptoms
  • Abnormal thirst
  • Insufficient urination (anuria)
  • Tremors


Any product that contains grapes could be harmful to your dog.

  • Grapes
  • Citrus juice
  • Raisins
  • Currants
  • Trail-mix
  • Baked goods with raisins or currents
  • Wine

Causes Of Grape Poisoning In Dogs

These are the most frequent causes of grape poisoning risk factors

  • Owner giving the grape-containing dog food
  • Grapes that are exposed in a fruit bowl
  • A trail mix jar with raisins that is open.
  • Grapes that were spoiled and were discarded
  • Current or grape vines in the garden
  • Wild berries

Diagnosis Of Grape Poisoning In Dogs

Blood tests, indications, and history of consuming grapes diagnose grape toxicity. Especially when this is coupled with tiredness, general weakness, and lack of appetite, pieces of undigested grapes in the vomit or feces may be the strongest indicator if you weren’t present when the occurrence occurred. If unsure, a history of your dog’s activity may be helpful.

If you suspect your dog has consumed baked goods, check the ingredient list for current or grape-based sweeteners and take a sample to the doctor for testing. A blood test for kidney failure will reveal in its later stages if blood urea nitrogen (BUN), creatinine, phosphorus, and calcium levels rise. If the poisoning incident goes unnoticed, the veterinarian must rule out other toxicities that could result in kidney failure.

Treatment Of Grape Poisoning In Dogs

It’s a good idea to call a poison helpline if you suspect your dog has been poisoned for guidance on how to start treating them right away. Follow the agent’s advice to the letter and take your dog to the vet as soon as possible.

My Dog Ate Grape Stems 2

The veterinarian would attempt to induce emesis and stop further absorption if the poisoning occurred within the last two hours. Additionally, activated charcoal will be administered since it helps to prevent absorption by binding to the poison in the dog’s stomach. This treatment can be required if a case is minor and caught early on.

If your dog ate a lot of grapes or something that contained grapes, intravenous fluids would be required for at least 48 hours. This will promote kidney health, boost urine production, and assist the body in ridding itself of toxins. Additional drugs to activate the kidneys may be required if the dog is still only passing a tiny amount of pee. The occurrence will typically result in death if the kidneys have wholly stopped producing urine.

Recovery Of Grape Poisoning In Dogs

Grapes are regarded as having medium to severe toxicity. Low doses treated right away may lead to recovery in dogs, but high doses have a terrible prognosis. Treatment given right away can improve your dog’s chances of surviving.

The best strategy to treat the problem is to limit or eliminate exposure to grapes and products containing grapes. Never leave open grape or raisin containers outside. Please don’t throw away damaged grapes; instead, prepare them in a food processor.

Also, never feed human food to your dog. Please keep your dog away from dumpsters, particularly those near grocery shops, because they may contain a lot of rotting fruit. Guard your current bushes in the garden, and keep an eye out for any wild grapes growing close to your home.

This is particularly valid if your dog has the propensity to consume everything. In the wild, most dogs would steer clear of poisonous plants, but domestic dogs who are more accustomed to eating human food might not have this instinct.

YouTube video

Final Summary

Dogs should never eat grapes or parts since they are poisonous to them. It’s best to keep them away from your vineyard and kitchen because sometimes, even one grape can prove fatal for them. We appreciate you reading this article about “My Dog Ate Grape Stems” and believe we have addressed most of your questions. If there are any additional subjects you would like us to cover, do let us know in the comments area below.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can dogs eat grape stems safely?

Without a doubt. Like grapefruits, grape stems are highly poisonous to all breeds, sizes, and ages of dogs. Consuming grape stems can cause death, kidney failure, or both.

Why are grape stems unhealthy for dogs?

Dogs are severely harmed by the toxic substances in grape stems. Vomiting, weakness, lethargy, and loss of appetite after consuming grape stems may signify poisoning.

How many grapes are toxic to dogs?

Sadly, no specific quantity or number of grapes has been determined to be the toxic dose. Dogs react differently to grapes; some can consume tiny amounts of the fruit without getting sick, while others may even pass away from ingesting just one grape. However, in general, the risk of being poisoned increases with the number of grapes consumed.

Is grape skin healthy for dogs?

No, a grape’s skin is just as poisonous as the fruit itself. It contains toxic ingredients that could cause kidney failure or injury in dogs. You should seek medical assistance right away if you think your dog may have consumed grape peel. Your dog may exhibit gastrointestinal distress, increased thirst and urination, loss of appetite, and vomiting, among other symptoms, after ingesting grape skin.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *