My Dog Ate A Mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup (Do This Now…)

What should I do if My Dog Ate A Mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup? All you can do at this point is watch her and hope that all you notice, if any, are some diarrhea unless your veterinarian can give her the means to vomit, which should happen very quickly.

And make sure this doesn’t happen again because organ damage is typically a result of consuming large amounts of chocolate regularly. Please don’t attempt to make her throw up without your veterinarian’s assistance; you could cause more harm than good.

My Dog Ate A Mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup

If there isn’t enough chocolate or foil, there will be a problem. We might have a problem if he consumed ten or more. Therefore, You Don’t Need to Do Anything. Over the following 48 hours, if he has a sensitive stomach, you might notice him throwing up or having diarrhea. Feed him bland food like basic chicken and rice if that occurs.

My Dog Ate A Mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cup 2

In addition, you can give him a quarter of a 10 mg Pepcid AC tablet for every 15 pounds of dog, as needed, every 12 hours. A human over-the-counter stomach acid reducer is called Pepcid AC. You don’t have to take any measures if he shows no symptoms of an upset stomach.

What Is In Chocolate That Makes It So Toxic?

Theobromine and caffeine are two potentially harmful chemicals found in chocolate. Both have diuretics, heart stimulants, dilators of blood vessels, and relaxants of smooth muscle properties. Dogs are more affected by theobromine and caffeine because they cannot metabolize the substances as efficiently as humans.

How Much Chocolate Can You Eat Before It Becomes A Problem?

The type of chocolate affects how much theobromine is poisonous. The danger of chocolate to dogs increases with its darkness and bitterness. Baking and luxury dark chocolate are highly concentrated and contain between 44 and 58 mg of theobromine per ounce, compared to 130 to 450 mg in regular milk chocolate.

With only 0.25 mg of theobromine per ounce, white chocolate hardly poses any risk of chocolate poisoning (that said, dogs can still get sick from all the fat and sugar). To put this into perspective, consider that a medium-sized dog weighing 50 pounds would only have to consume 1 ounce of baker’s chocolate or 9 ounces of milk chocolate to exhibit poisoning symptoms possibly.

What Symptoms Indicate Chocolate Toxicity?

Clinical symptoms vary according to the type and amount of chocolate consumed. The most typical clinical signs in many dogs are vomiting and diarrhea. Animals who are more seriously impacted exhibit increased thirst and urination, panting or agitation, and an elevated heart rate.

Seizures, heart failure, and muscle tremors can all occur in severe cases. Due to theobromine’s lengthy half-life, clinical symptoms of chocolate poisoning take several hours to manifest and may persist for several days.

What Is The Remedy For Toxicity Caused By Chocolate?

The type and amount of chocolate taken will affect the course of treatment. If handled quickly, all that may be required is to induce vomiting with medication, remove the chocolate from the stomach, and block absorption with activated charcoal.

My Dog Ate A Mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cup

The bladder allows theobromine to be reabsorbed. To avoid this, dieresis using intravenous fluids that hasten urinary excretion is required. Check for agitation, vomiting, diarrhea, or cardiac problems if your dog eats chocolate.

Even though going to the ER is a scary experience, on Halloween, we want you to have fun instead. Place the candy in high cupboards or closed pantries to keep it out of reach! Happy and secure holidays to you!

How Much Chocolate Is In Each Candy Bar?

It’s more challenging to estimate how much and what kind of chocolate your dog ate than you may think! To make counting those wrappers easier, here are a few popular chocolate candies (some dogs eat the wrappers too).

  • Regular size Snickers = 0.7 ounces of milk chocolate
  • Fun size Snickers = ⅓ ounce milk chocolate
  • Regular Reeses Peanut Butter Cup = 0.5 oz milk chocolate.
  • Hershey’s Kiss (single) = 0.15 oz milk chocolate
  • Miniature Reeses Peanut Butter cup = 0.2 oz milk chocolate
  • M&M regular-sized package = 1.7 oz milk chocolate
  • Average bar of dark chocolate = 3 oz dark chocolate
  • Hershey’s Chocolate Bar = 1.55 oz milk chocolate

For A 20 Lb Dog

A 20 lb dog could consume a few standard Snickers bars or a 1.5 pack of regular M&Ms without needing to see a doctor. A 1.5 oz. A portion of a dark chocolate bar would induce some remarkable vomiting and diarrhea in your dog.

If you find him in the act, you can save Angus and the carpet from a horrible few days by taking him to the vet to be made to vomit. Your dog might get seizures and heart arrhythmia if you give him an entire bar of dark chocolate (3 oz). It would be a crisis in this situation.

For A 35 Lb Dog

A 35-pound dog may safely consume 3.5 oz of milk chocolate. That’s a few packages of M&Ms in the standard size. Your dog would puke and have diarrhea if he had a 3-ounce bar of dark chocolate.

Once more, bringing him to the veterinarian straight soon can make his life much more straightforward. A clinic trip would be necessary if your dog consumed half a pan of baker’s chocolate brownies.

For A 65 Lb Dog

A 65 lb dog could eat 30 Reese’s Mini Cups since she weighs her side. He wouldn’t need veterinary care. However, he might have a terrible stomach ache. He would have severe vomiting and diarrhea after consuming 30 Hershey’s Dark Chocolate Kisses, and a trip to the vet might be necessary. He would get life-threatening symptoms that would necessitate hospitalization if she ate a pan of brownies made with 4 oz of baker’s chocolate.

YouTube video

Final Summary

What would happen if My Dog Ate A Mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup? She’s most likely okay. Reese’s cups don’t include solid chocolate, and milk chocolate doesn’t contain a lot of theobromine, a poisonous substance for dogs.

Although you should check for any signs, such as vomiting or tremors, and contact your veterinarian if you do, it’s more probable that nothing will be wrong. Plan where to store the chocolate immediately so she can’t get to it. Things might have been far worse if she had consumed solid black baker’s chocolate or cocoa powder. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Can Reese’s Piece hurt my dog?

Reese’s Pieces have a sugar level of over 50%. Therefore one piece is already too much for your dog. A dog does not require so much sugar, and consuming too much of this candy can result in several gastrointestinal problems right away.

How much chocolate weight does a Reese’s Cup contain?

Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups are commonly sold in packs of 2, 4, 5, 10, or 20 in the United States. The packaging is recognizable orange, and the trays are thin yet strong paperboard. Since 2001, the “Classic” two-pack has been a 0.75 oz. Cup (it was previously a 0.9 oz.

How soon after consuming chocolate does a dog become ill?

Dogs shouldn’t eat chocolate because it can be toxic to them. Most people start feeling sick from chocolate poisoning within 6-12 hours.

What are the symptoms of canine chocolate poisoning?

The presence and severity of clinical symptoms are doses- and chocolate-specific. Many dogs exhibit the clinical signs of increased urination and panting, increased thirst and agitation, vomiting, and diarrhea. In severe circumstances, patients may exhibit tremors, convulsions, and heart failure symptoms.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *