My Dog Ate A Bag Of Ricola Cough Drops (Do This ASAP)

Unfortunately, My Dog Ate A Bag Of Ricola Cough Drops, and they might be poisonous. Cough drops include specific ingredients that, while typically not lethal, have the potential to result in gastrointestinal issues and more catastrophic consequences if left untreated. However, some compounds have the appearance of being harmless but are toxic to dogs.

For little dogs, cough drops might also pose a choking risk. Cough drops should not be administered to dogs for these reasons, and they should be stored in a manner that prevents dogs from ripping open the packaging.

My Dog Ate A Bag Of Ricola Cough Drops 2

Cough drops contain several substances that can cause your dog to experience gastrointestinal problems like vomiting and diarrhea. Eucalyptus oil, menthol, local anesthetic, and sugar are possible constituents; these are standard compounds.

Some “sugar-free” formulations may contain harmful artificial sweeteners like xylitol. Thus it is essential to always check the ingredients list on the back of the packaging before consuming. As you may already be aware, xylitol is highly harmful to dogs and can even be fatal if consumed large enough.

Because the cough drop’s firm texture makes it harder to bite, dogs frequently swallow the cough drop whole rather than patiently sucking on it. Because of this, we are using cough drops might result in choking or intestinal blockage, which necessitates emergency treatment.

My Dog Ate A Bag Of Ricola Cough Drops

Please get in touch with your veterinarian if your pet has consumed our cough pills. There is no Xylitol in Ricola products, a sweetener frequently linked to animal health issues.

Can Dogs Have Cough Drops?

Cough drops have several ingredients that can be used to calm the throat and stop coughing. However, these elements can be lethal to dogs, especially young or small pups. These ingredients include xylitol, menthol, and, sporadically, benzocaine.


Canine menthol cough syrups are harmful? An organic substance called menthol is obtained from plants like maize mint and peppermint. The ingredient coughs drop their cooling effect on the lips and throat. Dogs, however, find menthol irritating. Humans experience a chilling feeling that irritates their tongue and gums, leading to general discomfort. Additionally, the digestive system of your dog is also upset.

Menthol is highly harmful to puppies and can be fatal. As a result of the menthol’s ability to depress the lungs and inhibit proper oxygen production, asphyxia and death may result. How much menthol before a dog dies? Fortunately, the dosage would need to reach thousands of milligrams or higher.

Menthol Symptoms

Vomiting or diarrhea brought on by stomach or gastrointestinal lining discomfort is frequently the initial symptom. Extreme symptoms can include breathing difficulties, exhaustion, and the inability to walk.


Chemically speaking, xylitol is typically employed as a sweetener. It is supposed to encourage better dental health and is frequently used as a sweetener in dental products. However, because consuming xylitol is similar to taking an insulin dose for dogs, this artificial sweetener is harmful to canines. Does xylitol appear in cough drops? A few do. Unfortunately, xylitol can cause hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar, in pets if enough of it is consumed.

Xylitol Symptoms

After swallowing the drug, xylitol poisoning symptoms might appear as quickly as 30 to 60 minutes later. Vomiting is the initial symptom, frequently followed by exhaustion and muscle weakness, also known as ataxia. In extreme circumstances, xylitol may interfere with blood coagulation, cause blood clots to form throughout the body, and eventually cause liver failure. Blood clots might cause muscle weakness, excessive wheezing, or shortness of breath. Blood in the pee or stool is an example of advanced signs.


Benzocaine, frequently sold under the trade name Orajel, is typically applied topically to relieve mouth sores and oral ulcers. However, benzocaine is also present in cough drops like Luden’s and Ricola lozenges. Benzocaine also irritates the digestive tract, much like the other two medications.

However, benzocaine might result in anemia if used in high enough doses or under unusual circumstances. That happens when there aren’t enough healthy blood cells to transport oxygen throughout the body. If swallowed or chewed, benzocaine has the power to numb some parts of a dog’s mouth or throat. That happens when there aren’t enough healthy blood cells to transport oxygen throughout the body.

Benzocaine Symptoms

Benzocaine poisoning begins with symptoms akin to those of xylitol or menthol. The initial symptoms are nausea, vomiting, or others of a similar nature. However, because benzocaine can result in anemia, these symptoms can also include swelling in the cheek or jaw, rapid breathing, depression, weakness, or jaundice (a disease in which pink tissues like the gum line or inner ears turn yellow).

What Should I Do If My Dog Ate A Cough Drop?

Call your veterinarian immediately if your dog displays potentially fatal signs like trouble breathing, continuous vomiting, or difficulty standing or walking. You can do infrequent things to make your dog comfortable because, for the most part, symptoms won’t be this severe.

My Dog Ate A Bag Of Ricola Cough Drops


First, watch your dog after you think it has consumed a cough drop. Initial symptoms usually appear 30 to 60 minutes after eating the drugs. The cough drop can pass through your dog’s system if they haven’t consumed many.

Induce Vomiting

It could occasionally be necessary to make your dog throw up. It can be required to use a hydrogen peroxide solution to make someone throw up. A 3% solution is the most typical concoction. To do this, make sure to adhere to the directions provided below.

  • Because a more significant concentration is harmful, only use a 3% combination.
  • One teaspoon of the combination is supposed to be added for every five pounds of dog weight, or a 1:5 ratio. For dogs weighing more than 45 pounds, don’t use more than three teaspoons.
  • Squirt the substance as far back into the mouth as you can use a feeding syringe or turkey baster. To encourage swallowing, gently seal your dog’s lips while petting its throat. Keep your dog from inhaling the concoction.
  • Do not allow your dog to re-ingest the vomit; instead, wait until it has passed.

Prevention Tips

It’s a good idea to prevent dogs from consuming cough drops in the first place, in addition to responding to the question, “Are cough drops hazardous for dogs?” You can protect your dog by taking a few preventative measures.


A dog-safe container or high-storage location should be used to keep your medications out of your dog’s reach. Since human prescription drugs and pills carry significant risks for any animal, that is the recommended practice when using pharmaceuticals or medications.


You may teach your dog to leave objects on command in addition to preventing your dog from accessing harmful chemicals. That comes in handy frequently and can save your dog’s life if they come into contact with something poisonous.

This workout can begin as early as you choose, but consistency is critical. Usually, you can start with a toy or other less dangerous item. Saying a firm but compassionate “drop it” or “leave it” when playing fetch will cause your dog to give you the object.

Take the toy from your dog carefully, and then consistently perform the activity. Move from toys to other items, such as food, treats, etc., gradually. Your dog will thus equate those words with always leaving things alone. It will eventually be able to translate that to any circumstance.

YouTube video


Therefore, you now know the answer to the question, My Dog Ate A Bag Of Ricola Cough Drops You may prevent your dog from being poisoned by being aware of the potentially harmful compounds in cough drops and everyday items.

Simple actions like training exercises and keeping your poisonous items in a container made for dogs and other pets and out of their reach may be able to save their life. Only your dog’s health should be considered.

Frequently Asked Questions

What happens if my dog eats a bag of cough drops?

The sugar-free sweetener xylitol poisons dogs. Due to the high xylitol content, your dog may get hypoglycemia, low blood sugar, and liver damage if it consumes cough drops.

What are the side results of Ricola cough drops?

However, if you experience any significant adverse reaction symptoms, such as a rash, itching, or swelling (particularly of the face, tongue, or throat), severe dizziness, or difficulty breathing, seek medical attention immediately. The list of potential adverse effects is not exhaustive.

Can a dog overdose on cough drops?

Alcohol made from a sugar called Xylitol sweetens cough drops. For your pets, it is hazardous because too much of this deadly substance can result in liver failure. Dogs who consume it may experience seizures or perhaps pass away. You might like to confer with your veterinarian if your dog ingested some cough medicine containing Xylitol.

What are the active ingredients in Ricola cough drops?

Each drop’s active ingredient and its intended uses. Cough suppressant and oral anesthetic menthol, 4.8 mg. The following components are inert: Natural flavor, starch syrup, sugar, extract of a Ricola herb mixture (including elder, horehound, hyssop, lemon balm, linden flowers, peppermint, sage, and wild thyme), color (caramel).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *