Dog Ate Cookie Dough (All You Need To Do Immediately)

Here ill explain to you all about what to do if your Dog Ate Cookie Dough. Since the dough will expand once it is in the stomach, time is essential. If immediate medical attention is available, your dog might only require an injection to cause vomiting. However, it depends on how much dough was consumed and how long passed before receiving therapy.

Never try to make someone throw up at home unless your veterinarian instructs you to. If you know your dog has gotten into the uncooked dough, you can offer them some cold water to drink to stop the fermentation process.

Like with cookies, dogs should not be given significant amounts of raw cookie dough. Cookie dough is an uncooked mixture of components for cookies that contains significant amounts of sugar, carbs, and fat, all of which are unhealthy for dogs.

Your dog’s consumption of cookie dough may result in gastrointestinal distress, food poisoning, or xylitol toxicity. Chocolate includes theobromine, a substance toxic to dogs, so cookie dough containing chocolate, such as chocolate chip cookie dough, is hazardous even in small quantities.

Dog Ate Cookie Dough

Treatment For Dough Ingestion

As was already said, vomiting can occasionally be caused to get the dough out of the stomach. The majority of the time, nevertheless, more rigorous treatment is required. To remove the dough mass, your dog’s stomach may need to be “lavaged,” which involves introducing liquid into the gastrointestinal cavity via a tube. Surgery can be required to remove the obstruction if lavage and vomiting are ineffective.

Your pup will require IV fluids to control blood pressure and electrolyte imbalances and support its heart function if the yeast has matured long enough to induce alcohol toxicity. Additionally, various drugs will be employed to stabilize any problems brought on by the absorbed alcohol. Your pet will require IV fluids to restore electrolytes to normal and drugs to treat any cardiac rhythms if playdough or salt ornaments are consumed.

Prevention Of Dough Toxicity

Treatment is never preferable to prevention since it is more affordable. It’s crucial to ensure that everyone in your home knows the risks that dough might provide for your dog because time is essential for dough consumption. The best way to keep your dog from developing playdough or bread toxicity is never to allow them to consume it, which is easier said than done. Hopefully, with some cautious planning, you won’t ever need to deal with this emergency.

Dog Ate Cookie Dough 1

Risks Of Feeding Your Dog Cookies

There’s always a chance that a cookie’s toxic elements could make your dog ill when it comes to dogs and cookies. Several dangers that cookies pose to dogs are listed below: A dog’s allergic response to cookie ingredients, like wheat flour, is possible. Avoid giving your dog any food that isn’t their regular dog adult food to reduce the possibility of any food sensitivity difficulties.

  • Choking risk: Depending on your dog’s size, cookies can be a problem for your pet. If your dog is the type to become enthusiastic over treats, there’s a risk that if given a chance, they’ll want to swallow fast numerous. Keep your dog away from your cookies and other human foods.
  • Diabetes: Sugar cookies, in particular, have high sugar content. Regularly consuming large amounts of sugar could cause your pet to develop diabetes, which can be devastating for dogs if their blood sugar levels get too high.
  • Food poisoning: Consuming raw eggs may cause your dog’s stomach pain and severe illness, including vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, and, in severe cases, liver failure.
  • Obesity: Cookies contain a lot of fat. Animals that habitually consume too much fat may become obese. Obese dogs may exhibit lethargic behavior and develop cardiovascular conditions like high blood pressure.
  • Stomach upset: If your dog eats excessive amounts of human food, it may result in digestive problems, which may make your dog incredibly uncomfortable. For instance, cookies may cause your dog to vomit and experience stomach aches.
  • Xylitol toxicity: Avoid offering your human dog sweets, even sugar-free varieties, as they are likely to contain xylitol, an extremely dangerous sweetener for canines.
  • Tooth decay: The sugar in cookies may lead to cavities in your dog’s teeth and hasten the process of tooth decay.

Can My Dog Eat Cookies?

It ultimately depends. The ingredients in the cookies are the first thing you should inquire about. Nutmeg, chocolate, raisins, and macadamia nuts are typical human cookie components poisonous to dogs. Get a baby gate for the kitchen if your dog is rapid and skilled at taking food off the counter or a dish, or store cookies in a tin or plastic container with a lockable top between servings.

If your dog ate a sugar cookie or another dessert loaded with sugar, butter, and wheat but lacked the above elements, it was unhealthy but not toxic. Although refined sugar isn’t the ideal choice for pets, your dog should be alright. Call your veterinarian about the unexpected sugar intake if your dog has diabetes.

Symptoms To Watch For

The substances in the cookies we all adore and consume can be harmful to your dog. (Anyone for the traditional chocolate chip) When they eat anything suspect, my dogs are usually far more resilient than I realize; however, I always err on the side of notification; that’s just wise. Following are some signs to look out for if your dog consumed a human cookie:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Elevated core body temperature
  • Quick breathing
  • Seizures

Call your emergency veterinarian immediately if these symptoms appear within the first 12 hours.

Bake Cookies Your Dog Can Eat

Bake some dog-safe cookies for your pets as an excellent substitute so that you and your visitors can enjoy these throughout the evening. Make careful to label them “Easy Homemade Pumpkin Spice Dog Treats” if you make them.

They are sufficiently convincing to pass for a human biscuit. (And safe to consume, despite being somewhat bland) Visit our Dog Recipe Center for more fantastic dog cookie recipes. Even dog birthday cakes are covered in our recipes!

YouTube video


There could not be much cause for Dog Ate Cookie Dough, depending on how much cookie dough your dog ate, how big your dog was, how many chocolate chips were used, and what kind of chocolate chips were used. There is very little likelihood of any negative responses happening if the milk chocolate chips used in the cookie dough were used and your dog weighs more than 15 pounds.

There is an increased risk when the dog is smaller and more chocolate is present. Even though baking chocolate is the most hazardous, a medium-sized dog eating a tiny bit won’t cause much concern. You might notice vomiting, drooling, tremors, seizures, or an elevated heart rate if your dog has negative consequences from consuming the chocolate. Contact your veterinarian right once if you see any of these problems.

The sugar and fat in the cookie dough are arguably the most significant worries. The following day, your dog can experience mild digestive problems, including vomiting and diarrhea. You should call your veterinarian if this persists for longer than a day.

Frequently Asked Questions

Will raw cookie dough hurt a dog?

The dough rises quickly after ingestion and can result in life-threatening stomach blockage and enlargement, which is the initial issue with dogs ingesting unbaked bread dough. The second potentially more dangerous risk is caused by the yeast’s fermentation, which can result in alcohol poisoning.

If my dog ate sugar cookies, what should I do?

If your dog ate a sugar cookie or another dessert loaded with sugar, butter, and wheat but lacked the above elements, it was unhealthy but not toxic. Although refined sugar isn’t the ideal choice for pets, your dog should be alright.

Can dough hurt my dog?

When a dog consumes bread dough, the yeast causes the dough to expand more, stretching the stomach and causing deadly amounts of ethanol to enter the bloodstream. While the pressure of rising dough might simulate and create bloat, alcohol toxicosis poses the actual threat.

Is dough poisonous to dogs?

When consumed by dogs and cats, unbaked bread dough poses a threat. When unbaked bread dough is consumed, it swells in the warm, wet environment of the stomach and may cause bloating or distension.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *